Ten things to know after the first round of the 2018 WGC-HSBC Champions at Sheshan International Golf Club in Shanghai, China, where Patrick Reed leads.
- Day-One Leader: Following an opening round of 64, Patrick Reed leads by two shots. Reed hit 12 of 14 fairways and 18 of 18 greens.
- Top Chasers: The two finalists for the U.S. Ryder Cup team, Tony Finau (who made the team) and Xander Schauffele (who didn’t) were the closest chasers to the reigning Masters champion at 6 under.
- In the Hunt: To offset three bogeys, Matthew Fitzpatrick tied Reed with a field-best eight birdies to sit 5-under par.
- Logjam: Five more players were tied at 4-under par headlined by Rafael Cabrebra-Bello and Tommy Fleetwood.
- Last Year’s Champ: The 2017 WGC-HSBC champion, Justin Rose, posted a 3-under par 69 to claim a T10 spot alongside countryman, and 2012 winner, Ian Poulter, among others.
- World No. 1: The newly minted top-ranked golfer, Brooks Koepka, posted an even-par round of 72 and was T27.
- High Score: With an 8-over 80, Shubhankar Sharma posted the day’s worst round. The Indian finished with eight bogeys and a double against just two birdies to sit alone in 77th place.
- About DJ: Playing for the first time in Shangahi since last season’s final-round debacle – where he blew a six-shot lead, Dustin Johnson posted a 2-over 74 to sit T49. In his last 36 holes at Sheshan, DJ is 3-over par (73-74).
- Top Chinese: Among the seven Chinese players in the field, WC Liang and Xin-Jun Zhang occupy the highest spot on the leaderboard at even-par 72, good for T27. A-Shun Wu and Li Haotong were one further back at 1-over 73 (T41).
- Blemish Free: Six players finished their opening rounds without a bogey: Reed (64), Schauffele (66), C.T. Pan (68), Billy Horschel (68), Patrick Cantlay (70), and Kyle Stanley (70).
2018 WGC-HSBC Champions
First Round: The Top 10
1. Patrick Reed -8
2. Xander Schauffele -6
2. Tony Finau -6
4. Matthew Fitzpatrick -5
5. Rafael Cabrera Bello -4
5. Kiradech Aphibarnrat -4
5. C.T. Pan -4
5. Billy Horschel -4
5. Tommy Fleetwood -4
10. Keegan Bradley -3
10. Matt Wallace -3
10. George Coetzee -3
10. Adam Scott -3
10. Ian Poulter -3
10. Justin Rose -3