With the second major behind us, the PGA Tour’s senior circuit gets back to its regular schedule with the 18th-annual Principal Charity Classic.
The long-running event will be contested at Wakonda Club for the sixth time, with Brandt Jobe returning to defend his 2017 title. Jobe will be joined by a half dozen other past champions, including three-time winner Jay Haas.
The 78-player field also includes Bernhard Langer, who is currently No. 2 in the Charles Schwab Cup race, and Scott McCarron, whose record includes a win in 2016 and a runner-up finish in 2017.
Tournament: Principal Charity Classic
Title Sponsor: Principal Insurance
Dates: June 8-10, 2018
Course: Wakonda Club
Where: Des Moines, Iowa
Distance: Par-72 6,959 yards
Architect: William Langford (1922)
Format: 54-hole competition, no cut
Winning Share: $262,500
Defending: Brandt Jobe
Marquee Players: Bernhard Langer, Jerry Kelly, Scott McCarron, Mark Calcavecchia, Rocco Mediate, Jesper Parnevik, Kenny Perry, Corey Pavin, Billy Andrade, Fred Funk, Gene Sauers, Tom Lehman, Lee Janzen.
TV AND ONLINE
The Principal Charity Classic is an annual Champions Tour event played in Iowa. Then called the Allianz Championship, it was first contested in 2001 at Glen Oaks Country Club in West Des Moines. Jim Thorpe was the tournament’s inaugural champion, posting a three-round score of 14-under par.
Jay Haas is the Prinicpal’s most successful champion, claiming three trophies (2007, 2008, 2012).
The tournament has been held at the William Langford-designed Wakonda Club since 2013. In September 2017, Principal announced the renewal of its title sponsorship through 2023.
2007-18 Principal Charity Classic
2001-06 Allianz Championship
2017 Brandt Jobe (−14)
2016 Scott McCarron (−15)
2015 Mark Calcavecchia (−12)
2014 Tom Pernice, Jr. (−12)
2013 Russ Cochran (−11)
2012 Jay Haas (−16)
2011 Bob Gilder (−14)
2010 Nick Price (−14)
(3) Jay Haas – 2007, 2008, 2012
(2) Bob Gilder – 2002, 2011
(−16, 197) Jay Haas – 2012
(−16, 197) Gil Morgan – 2006
It took 403 tries, but it finally happened: Brandt Jobe won a tournament as a PGA Tour professional. Jobe held off Kevin Sutherland and his former college roommate Scott McCarron to win the Champions Tour’s 2017 Principal Charity Classic by one stroke.
- Brandt Jobe fired a final-round 3-under 69 at the Principal Charity Classic at the Wakonda Club in Des Moines, Iowa.
- At -14, Jobe defeated Scott McCarron and Kevin Sutherland by one stroke, and Bernhard Langer by two.
- Jobe had four birdies to just one bogey in his final round. McCarron, who is also Jobe’s former college roommate at UCLA, tied Jobe’s lead after a birdie on 14, but Jobe played the final four holes -1 to McCarron’s even-par.
- Jobe and Glen Day were 36-hole co-leaders, with Day shooting 76 to drop into 13th.
- Sutherland had two eagles in his final six holes, including a 2 on the par-4 18th.
- Jobe has 12 career international victories, most recently on the Japan Tour in 1998, but had gone 0-for on the PGA Tour.
FINAL TOP 5
1 Brandt Jobe -14
2 Scott McCarron -13
2 Kevin Sutherland -13
4 Bernhard Langer -12
5 Scott Verplank -11
5 Steve Flesch -11
5 Tom Lehman -11