Former PGA Tour superstar Greg Norman will become the commissioner of the new Saudi-backed pro golf tour.
Here are ten (10) things to know about Norman and this new professional golf tour.
1. The tour will be backed by Liv Golf Investments through the Saudi government’s Public Investment Fund, which reportedly has assets of more than $500 billion.
2. The new tour expects to launch in 2022 in partnership with the Asian Tour.
3. As a co-sanctioned event with the Asian Tour, players will earn Official World Golf Ranking points, which has been a concern with any new league formation.
4. The Official World Golf Rankings is one way players can qualify for major championships.
5. Norman, a two-time major winner, was ranked No. 1 in the world for 331 weeks.
6. Norman said it was the “biggest decision” of his life.
7. Norman will step aside as CEO of the Greg Norman Company, a holding company offering a diverse mix of businesses in the golf and lifestyle verticals, marketed under the Shark.com brand.
8. Norman has been a longtime advocate for a world tour that would allow a limited group of elite top-ranked players to compete outside of the weekly PGA Tour events.
9. Norman’s “world tour” advocacy is credited with the launch of what became the World Golf Championships.
10. This new tour should not be confused with the London-based Premier Golf League, which hopes to launch in 2023.