Ten things to know after the third round of the 2018 WGC-HSBC Champions at Sheshan International Golf Club in Shanghai, China, where Tony Finau continues to lead.
- Day-Three Leader: Following rounds of 66, 67, and 70, Tony Finau edged ahead by three shots. Finau was 1-over par through 12 holes, but finished his final six holes with four birdies, highlighted by a hat trick on Nos. 16-18 en route to a three-day 13-under par.
- Last Year’s Champ: The 2017 WGC-HSBC champion, Justin Rose, also posted a 2-under par 70 to maintain a T2 spot at 10-under par, alongside Patrick Reed (70) and Xander Schauffele (69).
- In the Hunt: Despite a round-killing triple bogey on the par-5 14th, Tommy Fleetwood posted a 72 to stay in the hunt at 8 under, good for T5, alongside Andrew Putnam (67).
- Low-Round: The day’s best score was a 5-under 67 by Putnam and Thorbjorn Olesen (T10).
- High Score: Three players shot 11-over 81 for the day’s high round: Gaganjeet Bhullar, JC Ritchie, and Brian Harman.
- World No.1: The newly minted top-ranked golfer, Brooks Koepka, shot a third-straight round in the 70s (71) to sit T28 at 1-over par.
- Tournament Favorite: Entering the tournament as the betting favorite, world No. 2 Dustin Johnson has disappointed with rounds of 74, 73, and 73.
- Top Chinese: Among the seven Chinese players in the field, Li Haotong (69) occupies the highest spots on the leaderboard at 2-under par, good for T16.
- Blemish-Free: In round one, six players finished without a single bogey, and on Friday two players did so, but on Saturday, not one player finished clean. Although Alex Noren did sign for a card with no bogeys, but had two doubles.
- Sunday’s Final Groups: The final pairing for Sunday is the trio of Tony Finau, Justin Rose, and Patrick Reed, who will be preceded by Xander Schauffele, Tommy Fleetwood, and Andrew Putnam.
2018 WGC-HSBC Champions
Third Round: The Top 5
1. Tony Finau -13 (-2)
2. Justin Rose -10 (-2)
2. Patrick Reed -10 (-2)
2. Xander Schauffele -10 (-3)
5. Tommy Fleetwood -8 (E)
5. Andrew Putnam -8 (-5)