Ten things to know after the second round of the 2018 WGC-HSBC Champions at Sheshan International Golf Club in Shanghai, China, where Tony Finau leads.
- Halftime Leader: Following opening rounds of 66 and 67, Tony Finau leads by three shots. Finau hit 7 of 14 fairways and 12 of 18 greens.
- All Wet: The opening-round leader, Patrick Reed, hit three balls in the water en route to a 72.
- Last Year’s Champ: The 2017 WGC-HSBC champion, Justin Rose, posted a 5-under par 67 to claim a T2 spot at 8-under par, alongside countryman Tommy Fleetwood (68) and round-one leader Reed (72).
- In the Hunt: Offsetting two bogeys with three birdies, Xander Schauffele shot a 71 to remain in the hunt at halftime with a two-day score of 7 under, one clear of Patrick Cantlay (68) who was 6 under.
- Low-Round: Six more players were T7 at 5-under par, highlighted by Thomas Pieters who shot a low-round 64 to rocket 54 spots up the leaderboard.
- High Score: With a 12-over 82 Japanese golfer Yuki Inamori posted the day’s highest score. Shubhankar Sharma, though, carded a second-straight 8-over 80 to own the worst two-day score of 16-over par.
- World No.1 (and No.2): The newly minted top-ranked golfer, Brooks Koepka, struggled with back pain and shot a 74 to drop to T40 at 2-over par. He’s one better than Dustin Johnson who shot a 73 to sit T46 at 3-over par – 14 shots back.
- Top Chinese: Among the seven Chinese players in the field, WC Liang (73) and Li Haotong (72)occupy the highest spots on the leaderboard at 1-over par, good for T35.
- Gain-Free: Chinese A-Shun Wu (80) was the only player in the field to sign for a card without a single red number. He finished with six bogeys, one double bogey and 11 pars. Charley Hoffman (75) was the only other player to go birdie-less, but the American did card an eagle on the par-5 18th.
- Blemish Free: In round one, six players finished without a single bogey, but in the second round only two players did: Justin Rose (67) and Kyle Stanley (69). Stanley is bogey-free through 36 holes.
2018 WGC-HSBC Champions
Second Round: The Top 5
1. Tony Finau -11 (-5)
2. Justin Rose -8 (-5)
2. Tommy Fleetwood -8 (-4)
2. Patrick Reed -8 (E)
5. Xander Schauffele -7 (-1)