Ten things to know after the first round of the 2018 Sanderson Farms Championship at the Country Club of Jackson in Jackson, Mississippi, where Cameron Champ leads.
- Day-One Leader: Following an opening round of 65, Cameron Champ leads by a shot. The 23-year old Champ hit 9 of 14 fairways and a field-best 16 of 18 greens.
- Top Chaser: One shot back was Cameron Tringale, who posted a 6-under 66.
- Logjam: Six more players were tied at 6-under par, headlined by Rory Sabbatini.
- Last Year’s Winner: The 2017 Sanderson Farms champion, Ryan Armour, posted a 2-under par 70 to sit T30 alongside 15 other players, including familiar names such as J.J. Henry, Harold Varner III, Patrick Rodgers, Billy Hurley III, Scott Stallings, Alex Cjeka, Kevin Stadler, and Bill Haas, among others.
- Top-Ranker: World No. 76 Dylan Frittelli, the field’s top-ranked player, opened with a even-par 72 to sit T65.
- High Score: With a 13-over par 85, Ryan Vermeer posted the day’s worst round – by six shots. The 40-year old club pro from Happy Hollow in Omaha, Nebraska, won the PGA Professional Championship last summer.
- Long & Short: Defending champion Ryan Armour is a notoriously short hitter, but on Thursday, the Ohio State product was real short with an average of just 226 yards off the tee. Meanwhile day-one leader Cam Champ led the field with pokes of 325 yards, a difference of 100 yards.
- Gain-free: Six players posted rounds without a single birdie: Benjamin Silverman (75), Ricky Barnes (75), Ben Crane (76), Wesley Bryan (78), Kyle Ramey (79), and Garrett Osborn (79).
- Blemish Free: Seven players finished their opening rounds without a bogey: Sabbatini (67), Robert Streb (67), Seth Reeves (67), Scott Langley (68), Lucas Glover (68), Adam Schenk (70), John Huh (71), and Josh Teater (71).
- Holes: By the Numbers: The easiest hole on Thursday was the par-5 11th hole, which played to a score of 4.682 (-0.318). The 554-yard hole surrendered 52 birdies and just eight bogeys. The hardest hole was the par-4 16th which averaged 4.379 (+0.379). Only seven birdies were scored on this 479-yard hole, while 40 bogeys and seven doubles (or worse) were added. The fairest hole was the par-5 14th hole which played to exactly dead-level par with an average score of 5.000. Finally, the day’s highest number of pars (101) were scored on the par-3 11th hole.
2018 Sanderson Farms Championship
First Round: The Top 10
1. Cameron Champ -7
2. Cameron Tringale -6
3. Rory Sabbatini -5
3. D.J. Trahan -5
3. Andres Romero -5
3. Chad Ramey -5
3. Seth Reeves -5
3. Robert Streb -5
9. Nine Players Tied -4