After 36 holes of play at the FedEx St. Jude Classic, Chez Reavie (65), Charl Schwartzel (66), and Sebastian Munoz (67) share the lead at 9-under-par.
Stewart Cink, who co-led after round one, is a stroke back at 8-under, after a 2-under 68 at TPC Southwind.
Ben Crane, who was a winner here in 2014, was two back, after posting a 5-under 65 at the par-70 Memphis course.
Another first round co-leader, Matt Every, carded an even-par 70 and remains at 6-under, three shots back, and tied for sixth with Matt Jones, Trey Mullinax, Seamus Power and Retief Goosen.
Brooks Koepka headlines a group tied for 11th at 5-under, and four off the lead.
Adam Scott and Phil Mickelson, two the the biggest names in the field, are in the hunt at 4-under 136.
Defending champion Daniel Berger is at 2-under-par (T34), after posting a second round 68.
A week after he was named the NCAA Individual Champion, Ole Miss golfer Braden Thornberry made his PGA Tour debut as an amateur at TPC Southwind, just 15 minutes from his hometown of Olive Branch, Miss. He made the cut and sits T58 through 36 holes.
Tournament favorite Rickie Fowler followed up his opening-round 4-over 74 with an even-par-70 and missed the cut by three shots.
1 Chez Reavie -9
1 Charl Schwartzel -9
1 Sebastian Munoz -9
4 Stewart Cink -8
5 Ben Crane -7
T6 Matt Every -6
T6 Matt Jones -6
T6 Trey Mullinax -6
T6 Retief Goosen -6
T6 Seamus Power -6
36-Hole Leader Notes
- Schwartzel holds just the second 36-hole lead/co-lead in his career, the previous being a tie for first after two rounds at the 2011 Dell Technologies Championship where he finished T21.
- Schwartzel has two top-10 finishes in the 2016-17 PGA Tour Season, a sixth at the Valspar Championship and a solo-third at the Masters Tournament. Schwartzel has two career wins, at the 2011 Masters Tournament and the 2016 Valspar Championship.
- Reavie has two previous 36-hole leads in his career, at the 2008 RBC Canadian Open where he ultimately won his first and only PGA Tour event, and the 2011 John Deere Classic where he finished T5.
- Reavie has two top-10 finishes in 18 starts in 2016-17, a T8 at the OHL Classic at Mayakoba and T4 at the Sony Open in Hawaii. He sits 85th in the FedExCup standings.
- The rookie Munoz’s previous-best position through 36 holes on the PGA Tour was T25 at the 2017 AT&T Byron Nelson where he finished T50.
- In nine previous starts this season, Munoz has made four cuts and his best finish is a T27 at the Valero Texas Open. He sits 197th in the FedExCup entering this week’s action.
“On this golf course you really have to do everything well. It shows your weakness pretty quickly, so if I drive it well, good iron shots and I think the putter is always the key to low scoring.”
–Charl Schwartzel, 36-hole co-leader