Sei Young Kim finished with an 8-under par 64 on Saturday and will take an eight-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the 2018 Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic.
The 25-year old Korean, the overnight leader, started strong with three shots gained on the out-nine, but Kim shifted to a higher gear going home, carding five birdies in a six-hole stretch (Nos. 11, 13, 14, 15, and 16) en rout to a record-trying 24-under par.
Kim’s three-day total of 192 (-24) matches the LPGA record for the lowest 54-hole score in relation to par.
Afterwards, she cited calmer winds on the back nine allowed her to be more aggressive and attack the pins.
“Yeah, I was pretty solid,” said Kim, who’s hit 50 of 54 greens this week. “Another good round today. Yeah. And then I thought pretty good weather front nine, but a little bit of strong — a little bit of wind.
“It’s not little; pretty strong wind. So it was a little tough to judge the number on the front nine.
“After turning the front nine, the wind was pretty calm, so was able to attack to the pins, so make a lot of birdies.”
While Kim appears to have a firm hand on the trophy, the race for the silver and bronze medals is tighter than a tic in Wtitle is locked
Amy Yang was alone in second-place at 16-under par following a third-day 67, one clear of New Zealander Lydia Ko (66), Swede Anna Nordqvist (67), and American Emma Talley (68), who all sit T3 at 15 under.
Defending champion Katherine Kirk shot a 69 and leads a group of five players at T6 and 14-under par.
THORNBERRY CREEK LPGA CLASSIC
THE TOP 10 LEADERS
POS-PLAYER-TOTAL SCORE (TODAY)
1. Sei Young Kim -24 (-8)
2. Amy Yang -16 (-5)
3. Lydia Ko -15 (-6)
3. Anna Nordqvist -15 (-5)
3. Emma Talley -15 (-4)
6 Katherine Kirk -14 (-3)
6. Brittany Marchand -14 (-6)
6. Carlota Ciganda -14 (-5)
6. Jodi Ewart Shadoff -14 (-5)
6. Yu Liu -14 (-2)
RECORDS ON THE LINE
Sei Young Kim has her name etched in the all-time LPGA record books through three days – here’s a look at what she has accomplished and what other records Kim is chasing:
54 holes – In relation to par
- -24, Sei Young Kim, 2018 Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic
- -24, Annika Sorenstam, 2003 Mizuno Classic
Largest margin of victory, 72-hole event
- 14 strokes, Cindy Mackey, 1986 MasterCard International Pro-Am
- 8 strokes, Sei Youg Kim through 54 holesw
72 holes – In relation to par
- -27, Sei Young Kim, 2016 JTBC Founders Cup, par 72
- -27, Annika Sorenstam, 2001 Standard Register PING, par 72
- -24, Sei Young Kim, 2018 Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic through 54 holes
Most sub-par holes (birdies/eagles) in a single event
- 30, Brittany Lincicome, 2017 Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- 30, Gerina Piller, 2017 Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- 30, Lexi Thompson, 2017 Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- 25, Sei Youg Kim, 2018 Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic through 54 holes
EXIT QUESTION FOR SEI YOUNG KIM
Q: Did you know you tied the a 54-hole scoring record for the LPGA?
SEI YOUNG KIM: Yeah, yeah. Two years at JTBC Founders Cup I shoot a 27-under. Before tee off today I was, Ah, if I shoot like 8-under or 7-under it’s possible to the, yeah, my course record or my score or total record, yeah. I hope to break it tomorrow. Yeah, but I don’t think about it. I just keep focus my game.