One of the unique aspects of LIV Golf is that it will include a team play format… for big money.
LIV Golf Invitational Series: How It Works
- Format: The LIV Golf Invitational Series features both individual and team competitions, all occurring simultaneously – similar to F1 racing.
- 2022 Season: The inaugural campaign will be comprised of seven $25 million regular-season events, followed by a $50 million team championship in October, where teams will compete against each other in match play to determine who wins the LIV Golf team trophy and millions in cash.
- Individual Format: On the individual side, it will be the traditional 54-hole stroke-play event with no cut and no tee times (and no unlucky wave draws) – each round will go off using shotgun starts.
- Team Format: Regarding the team side, each tournament will include 48 players and 12 teams, consisting of four players on each team, with a captain designated for each team. Because there will be different players in each LIV Golf event (hello Patrick Reed and Bryson DeChambeau), teams will change at each event.
- Team Extras: The captains at each event will select the other three team members in a snake draft and will select the lineup each week. Finally, each team will have a logo, a team name and team colors.
- Team Scoring: For the opening two rounds, teams will only use the top two scores (out of four), with three scores being used on the third and final round.
- Regular Season Money: The overall purse for each regular-season event is a mind blowing $25 million, with $20 million being allotted to individuals and an additional $5 million among the top 3 teams. The individual winner will bank $4 million. The winning team will split $3 million or $750,000. Ex: If a player were to win the tournament and be part of the winning team, he’d walk away with $4.75 million for 54 holes of play.
- Season Finale: The team championship at the end of the season will be a four-day, four-round match-play bracket with a purse of $50 million. It will be contested at Trump National Doral in Miami.
LIV Golf Teams
Below are the 12 teams for the inaugural LIV Golf event in London:
- Dustin Johnson – (4 Aces) Shaun Norris, Oliver Bekker, Kevin Yuan
- Graeme McDowell – (Niblicks) Bernd Wiesberger, Turk Petit, Oliver Fisher
- Ian Poulter – (Majesticks) Lee Westwood, Sam Horsfield, Laurie Canter
- Kevin Na – (Iron Heads) Sadom Kaewkanjana, Hideto Tanihara, Viraj Madappa
- Louis Oosthuizen – (Stinger) Henni Du Plessis, Charl Schwartzel, Branden Grace
- Martin Kaymer – (Cleeks) Pablo Larrazabal, JC Ritchie, Ian Snyman
- Peter Uihlein – (Crushers) Richard Bland, Phachara Khongwatmai, Travis Smyth
- Phil Mickelson – (Hy Flyers) Justin Harding, Ratchanon Chantananuwat, Chase Koepka
- Sergio Garcia – (Fire Balls) David Puig, James Piot, Jediah Morgan
- Sihwan Kim – (Smash) Scott Vincent, Jinichiro Kozuma, Itthipat Buranatanyarat
- Talor Gooch – (Torque) Hudson Swafford, Adrian Otaegui, Andy Ogletree
- Wade Ormsby – (Punch) Matt Jones, Ryosuke Kinoshita, Blake Windred