The TaylorMade Spider Tour Red is gaining quite a reputation. The conspicuous putter exploded in popularity last year after world No. Jason Day, hands-down the best putter on Tour in 2016, used it during a three-win season.
World No. 1 Dustin Johnson later followed, and now its world No. 2 Rory McIlroy making the switch.
McIlroy became a member of the TaylorMade family earlier this year, using the golf equipment king’s best clubs at the flagship events of the PGA Tour: THE PLAYERS Championship. McIlroy then announced this week, in the leadup for the U.S. Open, that he will become the next to use the TaylorMade Spider Tour Red putter.
- Spider In the Bag: Four-time major winner and current world #2 Rory McIlroy will be using the TaylorMade Spider Tour Red putter in his latest attempt to capture a second U.S. Open title.
- Not Off the Rack: McIlroy added a few custom touches to his Spider Tour Red: a stamp that says “Rors”, and a black line to help with alignment. He used a Scotty Cameron Concept M1, and then an Odyssey O-Works prototype
- Mallet Preferred: Rory has been using a mallet model putter since the FedEx Cup playoffs last year.
- Day & DJ Approved: The Red Spider is the same putter that Dustin Johnson and Jason Day use. Johnson has three wins in 2017, while Day was a runaway leader in strokes gained: putting with the putter in 2016.
- Back in Action: Rory has not played since THE PLAYERS Championship, rehabbing from the re-aggravation of a rib injury, but spent significant time testing putters.
Rory McIlroy rolling The Original Red at Erin Hills. #USOpen #SpiderTour pic.twitter.com/wi8lPIlsIv
— TaylorMade Golf (@TaylorMadeGolf) June 12, 2017
“It’s awesome with the Spider because you set this thing up and you know exactly where you’re aiming, and it sits so square with that with that flow neck.”