In the opening round of The PLAYERS, Sergio Garcia posted a scintillating round of 65 at TPC Sawgrass to claim a two-shot lead.
Here are the 10 stats and facts to get you up to speed on the news and storylines unfolding in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, as the PGA Tour’s flagship tournament heads into its second day.
The PLAYERS Championship Recap
- Low round: Sergio Garcia’s 65 was his 25th round in the 60s at The PLAYERS. That’s a tournament record.
- High round: Henrik Stenson shot 13-over 85. It was the highest score of his PGA Tour career.
- Most under on par-4: Corey Conners holed out for eagle from 154 yards on the par-4 14th hole (461 yards). He was the only player in the field to eagle a par-4.
- Most over on par-3: Byeong Hun An recorded 11 on the par-3 17th hole, tying the second highest score in history (Robert Gamez (3rd round, 1990). Bob Tway holds the record with 12 (3rd round, 2005).
- Fifth-Straight: Jordan Spieth shot a 2-under 70 and sits T12. It was his fifth consecutive opening-round score of under par, and the fifth straight time he’s in the top 15 after round one.
- Square-free: Tom Hoge shot a bogey-free round of 69. He was the only player in the field to shoot bogey-free.
- Add Two: Viktor Hovland was assessed a two stroke penalty for playing a ball from the wrong place. Hovland marked his ball on the green, moved it, then moved it again in the same direction rather than replacing it. The penalty cost him 20 spots in the leaderboard, from 2 under (T12) to even-par (T42).
- Record-high: Defending champion Rory McIlroy shot a 7-over 79. It was McIlroy’s highest score ever at TPC Sawgrass, and second worst opening round score (anywhere) of his PGA Tour career.
- Toughest hole: The par-4 18th was the most difficult hole on Thursday. It played to nearly a full half point over par (4.406). Scores: 10 birdies, 85 pars, 38 bogeys, 7 doubles, and 5 triples or more.
- Easiest hole: The par-5 16th played to a full one-third shot under par (4.624), and surrendered 61 birdies, the most on the day, and only 11 bogeys (the least).