Here are some quick facts about the 23 year-old pro, from Plantation, Florida.
1. Amateur Career
- Member of the winning 2013 Palmer Cup Team.
- Individual runner-up to Max Homa at the 2013 NCAA Championship.
- The No. 1-ranked in the state of Florida in the 2011 high school graduating class.
2. 2014 U.S. Open
- Next week will be his second appearance at the US Open. He qualified for the 2014 version, at Pinehurst and made some noise in the final round by shooting a 4-under 66, finishing at T-28. Father’s Day Sunday got a bit emotional for him. On the 18th, after putting his approach shot to 4 feet, Berger’s caddie, Sam, invited Jay Berger inside the ropes. Jay, a former tennis pro, picked up the bag, put on the caddie bib walked the final few yards with his son. After dropping his birdie putt, they shared a big hug on the green.
3. Rookie Season
- Named the PGA Tour Rookie of the Year (2014-15) with two top 5s and six top 10s.
- Only rookie to advance to the Tour Championship by Coco-Cola. He finished T-12 at Atlanta and ended the season ranked 11th in the FedEx Cup standings.
- At the 2015 Arnold Palmer Invitational, he posted a 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the fours par-5s in the third round. At the 6th he holed from 237 yards with a 4 iron.
4. 2016 Masters
- At his first appearance at Augusta, he finished T-10 and ended the tournament at 1-over 289.
5. Career Best Finishes
- 2nd – 2015 Honda Classic. Started the final day 9 shots behind leader Ian Poulter, Berger posted a 6-under 64 to hold the clubhouse lead at 6-under 274. He was matched by Padraig Harrington who sank a 15-feet birdie putt on the 72nd Hole. He lost on the 2nd Playoff Hole.
- 2nd – 2015 BMW Championship. Ended the final round 6 shots behind winner Jason Day.