David Lingmerth posted a 5-under 65 at TPC Potomac in the opening-round of the Quicken Loans National and leads by a stroke after day one.
Troy Merritt, who won the Quicken Loans in 2015 at Robert Trent Jones Golf Club, finished at 4-under 66 and is tied for second with Marc Leishman, Johnson Wagner, Sung Kang, Nick Taylor and Daniel Summerhays.
A group of seven players, headlined by Patrick Reed, are tied at 3-under 67 (T8).
Tournament favorite, Rickie Fowler posted an even-par 70, despite a bogey-double bogey start. Justin Thomas struggled to a 4-over 74 – his fourth straight over-par round since the record-setting 63 on Saturday at Erin Hills.
Lingmerth’s Strokes Gained Stats
Off the Tee: 2.060 (7)
Tee to Green: 3.489 (T8)
Approach the Green: 0.682 (46)
Around the Green: 0.748 (30)
Putting: 2.714 (6)
Total: 6.203 (1)
1 David Lingmerth -5
T2 Troy Merritt -4
T2 Marc Leishman -4
T2 Johnson Wagner -4
T2 Sung-hoon Kang -4
T2 Nick Taylor -4
T2 Daniel Summerhays -4
T8 Russell Henley -3
T8 Zac Blair -3
T8 Martin Laird -3
T8 Geoff Ogilvy -3
T8 Patrick Reed -3
T8 James Hahn -3
T8 Bryson DeChambeau -3
- Withdrew: Boo Weekley withdrew after six holes of the opening round with tendonitis. Michael Thompson withdrew after nine
holes with a shoulder injury. Fabian Gomez withdrew after the completion of the first round.
- Bogey-Free Rounds: Troy Merritt (66), Marc Leishman (66), Russell Henley (67), Jason Gore (69).
- Toughest Hole: The most difficult hole in the first round was the par-4 11th, yielding an average of 4.517.
- Easiest Hole: The easiest hole was the par-4 14th hole, averaging 3.593. James Hahn and Luke List were the only two players to record eagles at the 300-yard 14th hole in the first round.
- Worst Round: Reigning PLAYERS champion Si Woo Kim continues his hot and (mostly) cold season. The 21-year South Korean posted a 9-over 79.
Round One Highlights