Sebastian Munoz posted a 3-under 67 on Friday at the Old White TPC, and stretched his lead at The Greenbrier Classic to three strokes after 36 holes.
Hudson Swafford (66) and Ben Martin (67) are both at 9-under, tied for second.
Munoz, a 24-year-old Colombian rookie, heads into the weekend at 12-under-par. The former University of North Texas star also held a share of the lead at the halfway point last month at the FedEx St. Jude Classic.
After weekend rounds of 75-76, however, Munoz plummeted down the leaderboard in Memphis, eventually finishing at T60. He’s hoping to learn from that recent experience at TPC Southwind.
“I feel like Memphis taught me that maybe I was caring too much, trying to hit too many perfect shots all the time,” said Munoz.
Davis Love III, 53, posted a 1-under 69, and remains in the hunt at 8-under. Love, who is seeking to become the oldest-ever winner on the PGA Tour, is tied for fourth with defending champion Danny Lee (67) and Russell Henley (64). A group of five players are tied at 7-under.
Patrick Reed shot 1-under 69 and is at 5-under (T16). Bubba Watson posted a 3-under 67 and moved up to T22 at 4-under. Phil Mickelson struggled to a 2-over 72 but made the cut at 1-under.
1 Sebastian Munoz -12
T2 Ben Martin -9
T2 Hudson Swafford -9
T4 Danny Lee -8
T4 Russell Henley -8
T4 Davis Love III -8
T7 Jamie Lovemark -7
T7 Kelly Kraft -7
T7 Xander Schauffele -7
T7 Nick Taylor -7
T7 Robert Streb -7
- Withdrew: Nicholas Lindheim (during round/knee injury), Steven Alker (prior to round/illness) and Kevin Shields (prior to round/no reason).
- Bogey-Free Rounds: Tyler Aldridge (67), Tony Finau (66), Jamie Lovemark (64), Trey Mullinax (65), Hudson Swafford ( 66), and NickWatney (64).
- Hardest Hole: The par-3 eighth hole once again played the toughest during the second round, with a 3.252 average.
- Easiest Hole: The par-5 12th hole was the easiest at 4.583.
- Trend: The 36-hole leader/co-leader has never gone on to win The Greenbrier Classic.
“I mean, it’s fantastic. I mean, anyone would take the position I am right now. No regrets. Excited. Never had a four-shot lead. I don’t know what it’s going to be at the end of the day, but whatever it is, happy. Just trying to keep same game plan.”