Five things to know after the second round of the 2019 WGC-Mexico Championship, where Dustin Johnson leads Rory McIlroy by two strokes at Club De Golf Chapultepec in Mexico City.
1. DJ Leads: The 34-year old South Carolinian posted a four-birdie 67, his second-straight bogey-free round. DJ hit just 7 of 14 fairways, but nailed 17 of 18 greens.
2. Rory Just Two Back: The four-time major winner followed up a day-one 63 with a 1-under 70, which included a bogey-6 and a double-bogey, offset by four birdies. Rory hit 11 of 14 fairways, and 14 of 18 greens.
3. Phil Bounces Back: After a round-one 79, defending champion Mickelson shot a bogey-free 65 on Friday, which included a six-pack of birdies, highlighted by a hat trick out of the gate on Nos. 1, 2, and 3.
4. Tiger Roars: After opening with a middle-of-the-pack 71, Tiger sizzled on Friday, carding a 5-under 66. He finished with one bogey against six birdies to move up 18 spots to T8. Through 36 holes, Woods has hit 21 of 28 fairways, and 26 of 36 greens.
5. JT Struggles: Justin Thomas opened with a 66, but on Friday the 25-year old couldn’t stay out of trouble and posted a 2-over 73 which included four bogeys against two birdies. At 3-under par through 36 holes, JT tumbled 13 spots down the leaderboard, from T3 down to T16.
ROUND-2: TOP LEADERS
Pos-Player-Under Par (Today)
1. Dustin Johnson -11 (-4)
2. Rory McIlroy -9 (-1)
2. Matt Kuchar -9 (-4)
4. Sergio Garcia -7 (-5)
4. Tommy Fleetwood -7 (-6)
6. Cameron Smith -6 (-4)
6. Ian Poulter -6 (-3)
8. Kiradech Aphibarnrat -5 (-2)
8. Richard Sterne -5 (-3)
8. Charles Howell III -5 (-3)
8. Tiger Woods -5 (-5)
8. Tiger Woods -5 (-1)
ROUND-2 STAT LEADERS
Driving: Bubba Watson – 347.8 yards (T48)
Fairways: Gary Woodland – 24/28, 85.7% (T28)
Greens: Dustin Johnson – 30/36, 83.3% (1)
Putts/GIR: Ian Poulter – 1.556 (T6)
Birdies: Ian Poulter – 13 (T6)
Pars: Matthew Fitzpatrick – 29 (T35)
Bogeys: Shaun Norris – 14 (T71)
ROUND-2 VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
Credit: PGA TOUR
“Yeah, especially playing late in the day, if the greens are the same tomorrow and Sunday. They got tough to hole putts on out there. You see everyone missing short ones. And yeah, the more greens you can hit, the better.”
– Rory McIlroy (-9, 2nd)
“It wasn’t my natural strong suit, that’s for sure. My dad was a very, very patient man and I learned by just being around him. As I matured throughout the game, I’ve gotten a little bit more patient, especially since having kids. That definitely will test one’s patience.”
– Tiger Woods (-5, T8)
“Very pleased. Yeah, double bogey’s not the way you want to get off to a start on this golf course. It’s a tricky course. I mean, we’ve seen guys in the trees a lot, that’s what I did down the right-hand side. So good bounce-back, made seven birdies today and obviously put myself nicely in position and I quite enjoy this place.”
– Ian Poulter (-5, T8)