The third edition of the biennial EurAsia Cup presented by DRB-HICOM tees off this week from Glenmarie Golf and Country Club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The match play contest is essentially the European Tour’s answer to the PGA Tour’s Presidents Cup, where a team of stars warm up for the Ryder Cup by taking on a team of tomato cans.
Here are six Frequently Asked Questions about the EurAsia Cup.
1.) What Is The EurAsia Cup?
A biennial Presidents/Ryder Cup-style team match contest between two 12-man sides from Europe and Asia, respectively, captained by Denmark’s Thomas Bjørn (who will also captain the 2018 European Ryder Cup team) and India’s Arjun Atwal.
2.) Where Is It Contested?
The EurAsia Cup will be played at Glenmarie Golf and Country Club’s Garden Course in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
3.) When Is It Played?
The matches will be contested January 12-14, 2018.
4.) What is the TV Schedule?
Thursday: Fourball Matches
- GOLF Channel 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM EST
Friday: Foursomes Matches
- GOLF Channel 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM EST
Saturday: Singles Matches
- GOLF Channel 11:00 PM – 2:00 AM EST
5. Who Are The Captains?
Tomas Bjørn – It will be his first captaincy assignment since taking the helm of Continental Europe in the 2009 Seve Trophy and will provide perfect preparation for the 2018 Ryder Cup in France in September.
Arjun Atwal – It will be his first time in the captaincy role. An eight-time Asian Tour champion, three-time European Tour winner and a winner on the US PGA Tour, the Indian will be looking to showcase the strength of Asian golf as his team chases a maiden win at the EurAsia Cup.
6. How Was The Team Chosen?
a.) The European Team competing in the 2018 EurAsia Cup comprises the following European Tour Members:
- The leading ten available European Members from the final 2017 Race to Dubai Rankings.
- The Captain, Thomas Bjørn, chose the remaining two European Members.
b.) The Asian Team competing in the 2018 EurAsia Cup comprises the following Asian Tour Members:
- Top four available players from the Asian Tour Order of Merit as at 27 November, 2017.
- Top four available players from the Official World Golf Rankings as at 27 November, 2017.
- The Captain, Arjun Atwal, chose the remaining four Asian Members in the week commencing Monday 27 November.
Credits: European Tour Media, Getty Images