In his first competitive action in some 300 days, Tiger Woods posted an impressive 3-under 69 in the opening round of the Hero World Challenge. It was a very encouraging start for the golf superstar.
Here’s a recap of Tiger’s round:
- Woods was solid to the green, hitting 12 of 18 – a 66.7% clip. Only five players were more accurate.
- He was also impressive on the green with a 1.667 Putts Per GIR, which was T4 in the field.
- He was a bit shaky off the tee, hitting about half (7 of 13) of the fairways (53.8%).
- He finished with five birdies which left him in the top tier.
- At 41, and having played just a handful of rounds the past few years, he hung in there with the world’s top-ranked players.
- In fact, as the 1,199th ranked golfer in the world he beat World Nos. 5, 7, and 8 (Matsuyama, Koepka, and Stenson), while tying the World No. 3 (Thomas).
- He made his first fist pump after a par-save on the 4th hole, and slammed his first club on the 12th.
CLASSIC TIGER RIP
THE FIRST FIST PUMP
THE FINAL PUTT
Credits: PGA Tour Media, Getty Images