Germany’s Last-Minute COVID Restrictions Upends Porsche European Open

Porsche European Open
A general view of the 18th grand stand prior to the Porsche European Open at Green Eagle GC on Sep 4, 2019 in Hamburg, Germany. (Photo by Tom Dulat/Getty Images)

And you thought the COVID authoritarian power grabbers were on their last legs.

Think again.

Apparently, a whole new variant has been discovered that is sure to come with all kinds of freedom-killing edicts.

Earlier this month, the World Health Organization (funded by Communist China) announced a new virus variant in Britain was “a variant of concern,” and get this: “it should serve as an early warning for other European countries that have relaxed restrictions (and allowed more freedoms),” wrote the NY Times.

And presto. The Germans have banned all non-essential travel from the United Kingdom “to prevent the spread of new coronavirus variants.”

In order to keep everyone safe from a virus that has a survival rate similar to a strong flu, Germany has decided to start restricting freedom once again.

With these new restrictions in place, the European Tour announced that next week’s Porsche European Open will now take place over 54 holes and will be played from Saturday (6/5) to Monday (6/7).

Contested in Hamburg at Green Eagle Golf Courses, the tournament was originally scheduled to be a standard 72-hole stop, Thursday-Sunday, with practice rounds Monday-Wednesday.

But the late edict by the German government meant that almost one-third of the 156-player field, along with the same number of caddies and a vast majority of the European Tour Productions and staff, would have been unable to enter Germany without observing a mandatory quarantine period if they had not been outside the UK for a minimum of 10 days.

Keith Pelley, European Tour Chief Executive, said: “The significant travel changes announced last week meant it was simply impossible for us to start the Porsche European Open as intended a week today without unacceptably damaging the field and the integrity of the tournament.

“Over the past year we have had to react to numerous changes at short notice and our ability to do this has unquestionably been down to the flexibility of our players, caddies, staff, broadcaster partners and sponsors. This is another wonderful example of everybody working together pragmatically to find a solution.

“We are therefore extremely grateful to everyone involved, particularly Porsche and promoter U.COM Event for their adaptability, understanding and unwavering support in making these fundamental changes so close to the tournament, with so much of the infrastructure already in place. That has enabled us to not only provide vital playing opportunities for as many of our members as possible, but also to showcase this prestigious event, and Germany, properly to our global television audience.”

Dirk Glittenberg, Tournament Director from U.COM Event, said: “With the ever-changing circumstances we have been faced with, it has been very challenging to get the tournament across the line, but it is a great achievement that we have managed to do just that.

“We are extremely delighted that the Porsche European Open will go ahead and I can only thank all the people involved, our staff and partners, as well as our title partner Porsche and everyone at the European Tour for a great combined effort.”


LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here